Flashcards in Tonal Vocab 3 Deck (39):
apathetic - showing little or no emotion or animation
appreciative - feeling or expressive of gratitude
arrogant - having or showing feelings of unwarranted importance out of overbearing pride
authoritative - having authority or ascendancy or influence
condemnatory - containing or imposing condemnation or censure
consoling - affording comfort or solace
contented - satisfied or showing satisfaction with things as they are
contradictory - that confounds or contradicts or confuses
critical - characterized by careful evaluation and judgment
despairing - arising from or marked by despair or loss of hope
disinterested - unaffected by self-interest
elated - exultantly proud and joyful
elevated - of high moral or intellectual value
enthusiastic - having or showing great excitement and interest
exuberant - unrestrained, especially with regard to feelings
factual - of or relating to or characterized by facts
foreboding - a feeling of evil to come
gloomy - filled with melancholy and despondency
1. serious or solemn; sober: a grave person; grave thoughts.
2. weighty, momentous, or important: grave responsibilities.
3. threatening a seriously bad outcome or involving serious issues; critical: a grave situation; a grave illness.
1. odd or unnatural in shape, appearance, or character; fantastically ugly or absurd; bizarre.
5. without real or significant worth; meaningless: a hollow victory.
6. insincere or false: hollow compliments.
3. plain; unpolished; unsophisticated; simple; rustic: homespun humor.
1. not proud or arrogant; modest: to be humble although successful.
1. giving information instructive: an informative book.
1. given to inquiry research, or asking questions; eager for knowledge; intellectually curious: an inquisitive mind.
Matter of fact
1. adhering strictly to fact; not imaginative; prosaic; dry; commonplace: a matter-of-fact account of the political rally.
2. direct or unemotional; straightforward; down-to-earth.
1. a gloomy state of mind, especially when habitual or prolonged; depression.
2. sober thoughtfulness; pensiveness.
1. affected with, characterized by, or showing melancholy; mournful; depressed: a melancholy mood.
1. Characterized by or displaying a concern with morality.
2. Marked by a narrow-minded morality.
a wistful desire to return in thought or in fact to a former time in one's life, to one's home or homeland, or to one's family and friends; a sentimental yearning for the happiness of a former place or time: a nostalgia for his college days.
something that elicits or displays nostalgia.
incapable of action or of feeling emotion; enervated; prostrate: numb with grief.
lacking or deficient in emotion or feeling; indifferent: She was numb to their pleas for mercy.
ominous - threatening or foreshadowing evil or tragic developments
keenly distressing to the feelings: poignant regret.
keen or strong in mental appeal: a subject of poignant interest.
affecting or moving the emotions: a poignant scene.
1.odd, queer, or comical.
2.questioning or puzzled: a quizzical expression on her face.
3.derisively questioning, ridiculing, or chaffing.
deep and painful regret for wrongdoing; compunction.
quiet or sedate in demeanor, as persons.
marked by seriousness, gravity, solemnity, etc., as of demeanor, speech, etc.: a sober occasion.
subdued in tone, as color; not gay or showy, as clothes.
free from excess, extravagance, or exaggeration: sober facts.
showing self-control: sober restraint.
sane or rational: a sober solution to the problem.
gloomy, depressing, or dismal: a somber mood.
extremely serious; grave: a somber expression on his face.
insistent or earnest in solicitation; importunate, as a person: an urgent pleader.
expressed with insistence, as requests or appeals: an urgent tone of voice.
irritated; annoyed: vexed at the slow salesclerks.
much discussed or disputed: a vexed question.