Flashcards in Topic 3: Language and Symbol Deck (20)
What is symbol?
something that represent another thing
Humans are ___, _____ and ____ creatures
What is symbol-making?
Labour specialization, history recording and culture creation was facilitated by communication
What is symbol-using?
Usage of visual and verbal symbols to communicate
What is symbol-misusing?
Usage of symbols in a less constructive behavior
The most widely used symbol
What is lingua franca?
a common language for various people from all over the world to communicate
Symbols relation to persuasion
1. the number of countries using it as their first language or mother tongue
2. the number of countries adopting it as their official language
3. the number of countries teaching it as their foreign language of choice in schools
English is a ____ language
Symbols ____ more of its _______
Characteristics of clear communication
unvarying, static, standardized
Function of language
Allows communicators to talk and think about feelings, events and objects even when, in actuality, it isn't physically present
What is symbolic concepts?
refers to any particular individual’s unique meaning for concepts
What are the types of symbol concepts?
Explain "significant" and provide an example
- the usage of symbols to accompany a main concept
- EG: RED color is used to accompany the STOP message
Explain "denotation" and provide an example
- common and shared meanings
>> people understand the symbol
- EG: profit vs loss term
Explain "connotation" and provide an example
- private, metaphorical, emotional meaning
- EG: the term "storm"
Definition of semantic
the study of how meanings conveyed through signs and language
Two types of semantic