Flashcards in USA 1941 - 48: A Land united? Deck (5)
- Japan entered the war after Japan attacked Pearl Harbour (Dev 7, 1941)
- Roosevelt joined Britain and Russia in a Grand Alliance
- The war brought the USA out of the depression
- The USA emerged from the war economically stronger than when it entered it
Evidence that US people supported the war effort
- Rationing was an 'accepted' part of wartime USA (Gasoline & meat)
- Restrictions placed on everyday life were generally observed (hunting & fishing banned)
- Millions of Americans grew what they needed in 'Victory Gardens'
- A request by the War Production Board for 4 million tonnes of scrap metal in 2 months was easily met in 3 weeks, providing 5 million tonnes
- Americans contributed $129 billion to the war effort by buying war bonds
- Liberty ships were being turned out every 43 days by 1943
How did the Government intervene in the lives of the US people during the war?
- Imposed a FEDERAL 'victory tax' on incomes and savings.
- More taxes on luxury goods - nylon & alcohol
- A War production board was established - to manage war industries
- Office of price administration - control prices and stamp out the black market
- Office of censorship
- Executive orders - esp.