1. a church tower and spire
2. (steepling) touching all fingertips together in front of body. means "I like me."
1. A pipe or channel for conveying fluids, such as water.
2. A tube or duct for enclosing electric wires or cable.
3. A channel through which anything is conveyed
1. a conduit for conveying water to the power plant
2. the gas pipe should not be close to any electrical conduit
3. an arms dealer who served as a conduit for intelligence data.
n. The first prints made of a movie after a period of shooting
n. decorative wood inlay in woodworking, made of veneers of fine woods, sometimes with bass or mother of pear
n. marquetry where the decoration is configured in a geometric motif design.
n. A cupboard or dresser typically with open shelves above
n. a center shelf section with side, shelved cupboards (for storage or display). usually made of burnished and polished wood and decorated with marquetry.
n. (Old English) shelves on wheel, some had 2 drawers for utensils;
n. (French) with panel doors (cabinet mostly without shelves), had 2 drawers at the top, no wheels. dining room fixture.
1. 3-4 drawers across the top. 2-3 sets of drawers on each side (vs. credenza: side shelves).
2. has knee-hole openings in the front center (like a desk), or has elaborately carved high back s.t. with background mirrors.
3. used in the dining room for serving food, for displaying serving dishes such as silver, and for storage.
n. have shelves, with/without glass-panes doors, contents out in display. [ex: cups, plates ]
buffing (softer polishing with mild-glos shine) and waxing floor
n. A commercial operation within the premises of a larger concern, typically selling refreshments
1. a restaurant in a movie studio, military base, prison, or other institution
2. a store that sells food and drink to members of an organization, esp. a large grocery store on a military base
3. a deputy or delegate
n. a small open-fronted hut or cubicle from which newspapers, refreshments, tickets, etc., are sold
n. resin dissolved in a liquid for applying on wood, metal, or other materials to form a hard, clear, shiny surface when dry
1. a thin decorative covering of fine wood applied to a coarser wood or other material
2. an attractive appearance that covers or disguises someone or something's true nature or feelings
1. thrust or force out
2. shape (a material such as metal or plastic) by forcing it through a die
1. they then extrude their feeding tentacles (from holes) , ready to withdraw at any hint of danger.
2. squeeze the bag to extrude the dough onto ungreased cookie sheets.
1. an embossed brass dish
2. participating drugs companies emboss a special code onto packages
n. water flow that occurs when soil is infiltrated to full capacity and excess water from rain, meltwater, or other sources flows over the land.
Sometimes you can even see the waste runoff going directly going into the water.
彌猴, medium-sized, chiefly forest-dwelling Old World monkey.
1. (plow) a long narrow trench made in the ground by a plow, esp. for planting seeds or for irrigation
2. (make) a rut, groove, or trail in the ground or another surface
3. (frowning, or tighten eyebrown in concentration, and mark with) a line or wrinkle on a person's face
she furrowed her brows, thinking hard
n. A cylindrical or round spout at the end of a pipe, hose, or tube, used to control a jet of gas or liquid
n. flexible tube conveying water, used esp. for watering plants and in firefighting
n. a device for controlling the passage of fluid through a pipe or duct, esp. an automatic device allowing movement in one direction only
n. a small pocketknife with a blade that folds into the handle
n. pliable twigs, typically of willow, plaited or woven to make items such as furniture and baskets
v. make (something) by forming material into a plait or plaits (intertwining three or more strands of flexible materia)
1. easily bent; flexible
2. easily influenced
pliable teenage minds; pliable molding hair cream
1. raise (something) by means of ropes and pulleys
2. raise or haul up
she hoisted her backpack onto her shoulder.
1. a wheel with a grooved rim around which a cord passess, chiefly used (typically in combination) to raise heavy weights.
2. a wheel with a toothed rim around which the chain passes.
Hoist with a pulley.
1. a tall upright post, spar, or other structure on a ship or boat, carrying a sail.
2. a similar structure on land, esp. a flagpole or a television or radio transmitter.
1. a wheel attached to a pole, used for collecting current from an overhead electric wire to drive a streetcar or trolley bus
2. a luggage cart; a shopping cart; a small table on wheels
n. an automatic device for stopping the flow of current in an electric circuit as a safety measure
(or main breaker)
n. Stiff untanned leather (used for drumhead, lampshade, dog's chew toy)
n. a cover for a lamp, used to soften or direct its light
(or meat cleaver)
1. a rounded mass projecting above a surface; a small hill
2. raised mass of earth, stones, or other compacted material (as for burial and defense)
3. a small hill; a large pile of something
1. heap up into a rounded pile
2. enclose, bound, or fortify with an embankment
hills that mound the sea.
1. scrape or brush the surface of (a shoe or other object) against something
2. mark (a surface) by scraping or brushing it, esp. with one's shoes
3. drag (one's feet or heels) when walking
I scuffed the heel of my shoe on a stone; the linoleum on the floor was scuffed
n. a device for stopping the flow of blood through an artery, typically by compressing a limb with a cord or tight bandage
n. a dense group of bushes or trees
n. gray with a tinge of brown
a taupe overcoat
n. a reddish-brown color
v. (of smooth-skinned fruit) Develop a rough reddish-brown or yellowish-brown skin, or patches of such
a week of humid weather has russeted the pears.
A disk or short cylinder fitting closely within a tube
-in which it moves up and down against a liquid or gas,
-used in an internal combustion engine to derive motion, or in a pump to impart motion
1. a device consisting of a rubber cup on a long handle, used to clear blocked pipes by means of water pressure
2. a part of a device or mechanism that works with a plunging or thrusting movement
n. a slender threadlike appendage of a climbing plant, often growing in a spiral form, that stretches out and twines around any suitable support
n. a lock of hair hanging in a corkscrew-shaped curl
n. a bunch or collection of something, typically threads, grass, or hair, held or growing together at the base
1. cloud forming wispy filamentous tufted streaks (“mare's tails”) at high altitude, usually 16,500–45,000 feet (5–13 km)
1. a slender flexible limb or appendage esp around the mouth of an invertebrate, used for grasping, moving about, or bearing sense organs
2. (in a plant) A tendril or a sensitive glandular hair
3. an insidious spread of influence and control
the Party's tentacles reached into every nook and cranny of people's live
a) the distinct, typically broader section at the head of a pillar or column
b) a column, esp. the main part between the base and capital
capital, shaft, base
a) horizontal, continuous lintel on a classical building supported by columns
b) (a main beam) the lowerer third entablature; the molded frame around a doorway or window or the exterior or an arch
c) broad horizontal band of sculpted or painted decoration, esp. on a wall near the ceiling
d) a horizontal molded projection crowning a building or structure, surmounting the frieze
architrave, molding, frieze, cornice
a) the triangular upper part of the front of a building in classical style
b): sloping molded frame on upper pediment, below the roof line
c): the part of a wall at the end of a pitched roof, occupying the space between the two slopes of the roof.
raking cornice, gable
a) (n) spiral scroll-like ornament (adj) forming a spiral curve or curves
b) (n) an ornamental vertical groove in a column; (v) make flutes or grooves in
c) (n) a small band between the flutes of a column; a plain or decorated line impressed on the cover of a book
volute, flute, fillet
n. a horizontal support (header) of timber, stone, concrete, or steel across the top of a door or window. 楣
(plural n) the part of a roof that meets or overhangs the walls of a building 屋簷
1. a long, narrow part or section forming the handle of a tool or club
2. a long cylindrical rotating rod for the transmission of motive power in a machine
3. a long, narrow, typically vertical hole that gives access to a mine, accommodates an elevator in a building, or provides ventilation
(v) (of light) shine in beams
> brilliant sunshine shafted through the skylight
(n) 1. a ray of light or bolt of lightning; 2. a sudden flash of a quality or feeling
> a shaft of sunlight; a shaft of inspiration