Flashcards in Week 9: Current Trends in Work, Education, and Immigration Deck (4):
Diversity in workplace: Diversity Programs - Why?
- continuing inequality
- population is becoming more diverse and pluralist
- business want the best workers for the job
- need to address conflicts at workplace
- diversity leads to more productivity and competitiveness
How do diversity programs work?
- Addresses both attitudes and behaviors
- Address prejudice, perceptions, and punishes discriminatory behavior
- Increase number of minority workers or promotion of minority workers
Hate Crimes - Why?
- bad economic conditions: competition
- growing economic inequality: scapegoating
- statement and actions of political leaders: code words
- reaction to progressive change