Flashcards in wk7 - ST key fxns & combinations (35-45) Deck (19):
What is the major tonification point on the ST channel, that is included in most treatments? What categories does it belong to?
He Sea, Command of Abdomen (and Horary)
What are the key functions of ST 36?
1) Rectifies the SP & ST - helps ST organize downward movement & helps SP organize upward movement
2) Regulates central qi
3) Harmonizes the intestines & disperses stagnation (He Sea fxn)
4) Breaks thoracic blood stasis - re: breast tissue (e.g. breast infections, breast lumps)
5) Courses wind & transforms damp - usu. external wind
6) Frees & regulates qi & blood of the channels - lowers blood pressure
7) Supports the correct & banks up the origin - tonifies zheng qi and original qi / essence
8) Dispels the pathogens & prevents disease (i.e. you can promote WBC production by burning moxa at ST 36)
ST 36 combined with ______ is the "Inner 4 Gates." What is the purpose of this point combination?
- to promote digestion; to get better qi & blood
- used for Wei Syndrome
ST 36 combined with ____ & ____ support the immune system. How does this point combination work?
Ren 4 (or 6) + LI 11
- consolidates the exterior
- protect from allergies
ST 36 combined with which other points can be used to lower blood pressure?
ST 9 + LI 11 + Er Jian (+ GB 20)
together with ST 36, these points can be used to lower blood pressure
How does this function of ST 36 relate to its category?
Function: "Harmonizes the intestines & disperses stagnation"
all He Seas move things through a hollow organ, and ST 36 is the He Sea of ST
How does this function of ST 39 relate to its category?
Function: "Clears the bowels & transforms stasis"
all He Seas move things through a hollow organ, and ST 39 is the Lower He Sea of SI
How does this function of ST 37 relate to its category?
Function: "Frees the intestines & transforms stagnation"
all He Seas move things through a hollow organ, and ST 37 is the Lower He Sea of LI
What is an Empirical Point?
has a function or indication that's clinically useful, but there is no real reason we can figure out
Which point on the ST channel is an Empirical Point? What is it used for?
- ST 38 is the Empirical Point for frozen shoulder
- it is used for pain & motor impairment of the shoulder
How do these functions of ST 40 relate to its category?
Functions: "Transforms phlegm-damp"
- ST 40 is a Luo Connecting Pt, and Luos in general help its paired Zang Fu organ
- "Transforms phlegm-damp" means that ST 40 helps the SP, which is the ST's paired Zang Fu organ
Can ST 40 be used to transform phlegm damp anywhere in the body?
- Yes, ST 40 can be used in combination with other points to treat phlegm-damp anywhere in body
- For example, the function "clear spirit disposition" refers to ability of ST 40 to address phlegm clouding the head (SX: headache, dizziness, vertigo, mania, epilepsy)
Give a Host-Guest combo using the ST channel. What is it used for?
ST 40 + SP 3 = Host Guest combo for phlegm damp due to SP Qi Deficiency
(ST 40 is the Luo Connecting Point. SP 3 is the Yuan Source Point on its paired yin-yang channel.)
What are distal points on the ST channel generally good for? Give an example of two points that will do this.
- to clear ST heat, especially when ST heat disturbs the mind
- ST 41 & ST 42 have specific functions for stabilizing the spirit
What is the best point on the ST channel for clearing heat?
- Ying Spring point, ST 44
- especially used to clear heat from the other end of the channel (in mouth, gums, teeth)
Give an example of Local-Distal Needling to treat tooth pain, using points on the ST channel. What point on the LI channel can be combined to improve efficacy?
ST 44 + ST 4, 5, 6 + LI 4
(ST 44 is Ying Spring point, and clears heat from other end of channel. ST 4, 5, 6 are local points around the mouth and gums. LI is the Command of Face & Mouth, and directs the treatment there.)
What point on the ST channel discharges Yang Ming pathogenic heat?
ST 45, the Jing Well point
What is the classic combo for heat & fever? (Note: these points are NOT on the ST channel)
Du 14 + LI 11 + LI 4
(All Yang channels go to Du 14 at the back of the neck. LI 11 is the Master Point of Heat & Fever. LI 4 is the Command of Face & Mouth, as well as the Yuan Source point.)