1. T. Cruzi causes what?
1. American trypanomiasis (Chagas' disease)
1. What are the direct hosts?
2. reservoir hosts?
1. humans, dogs, primates
2. armadillos (mostly)
3. kissing bugs
when the feed they poop into wound
(Transmission of T. Cruzi to Humans and Dogs)
1. What is the most significant route?
1. trypanosome infected bug feces rubbed into bite wound or intact mucous membranes
1. are there acute and chronic phases in canine chagas?
don't worry much about these
1-3. how do you diagnose?
1. blood smears (in acute phase)
2. serologic tests
know the NAGANA thing!
1. transmitted by what?
1. tsetse flies (Glossina spp.)
I don't think I'll need to know this
but know this i think.... similar to previous cycle
1. what are the hosts?
1. antelopes and other native ruminants (CATTLE!!!)
don't typically die! believe it or not!
1. severity of disease depends on what?
1. trypanosome spp. and host susceptibility
1. what causes "Surra" in horses (and camels and deer)?
2. transmitted by what?
3. disease similar to what?
4. What causes "Dourine"/"mal du coit" in horses and donkeys?
5. what type of disease?
1. T. evansi
2. tabanid and stable flies
3. T. brucei
4. T. equiperdum