Flashcards in A: AMERICAN GOVERNMENT - Principles of American Democracy Deck (12):
1. What is the supreme law of the land?
2. What does the Constitution do?
sets up the government
defines the government
protects basic rights of Americans
3. The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
We the People
4. What is an amendment?
a change (to the Constitution)
an addition (to the Constitution)
5. What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
the Bill of Rights
6. What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?*
petition the government
7. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
8. What did the Declaration of Independence do?
announced our independence (from Great Britain)
declared our independence (from Great Britain)
said that the United States is free (from Great Britain)
9. What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
pursuit of happiness
10. What is freedom of religion?
You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion.
11. What is the economic system in the United States?*