Flashcards in Eating Disorders Deck (16):
Types of Eating Disorders
- Anorexia Nervosa
- Bulimia Nervosa
- Eating disorders not otherwise specified
Comorbidities with eating disorders?
- Major depressive episodes and dysthymia.
- Bipolar disorder.
- Substance abuse.
- persnonality disorders
- sexual abuse
Serotonin activity is decreased in?
low weight individuals with anorexia
Cholecystokinin* is present at low levels in.
Serotonin imbalance can cause?
- changes in appetite, mood and impulse control
- obsessive compulsiveness
- dysphoric mood
abnormally thin or weak, especially because of illness or a lack of food
Clinical Presentation of Anorexia Nervosa?
- yellow skin (hypercarotenemia)
- Lanugo and cold extremities
- impaired renal function (dehydration)
- constipation (dehydration)
- hypokalemia, anemia, pancytopenia (starvation)
Clinical Presentation of Bulimia?
- binge eating
- self induced vomiting, laxative or diuretic use after eating
- hx of anorexia nervosa
- depressive s/s
- negative self concept
- increased levels of anxiety and impulsivity
- possible chemical dependency
- possible impulsive stealing
S/S of Bulimia?
- normal to low weight
- dental carries or tooth erosion
- parotid swelling
- gastric dilation, rupture
- calluses, scars on hand (Russell's sign)
- peripheral edema
- muscle weakening
- CV abnormalities
Criteria for immediate hospitalization of an anorexic patient?
- extreme electrolyte imbalance
- body weight below 75% of ideal
A potentially catastrophic treatment complication involving a metabolic alteration in serum electrolytes, vitamin deficiencies and sodium retention.
Goals of therapy for eating disorders?
- weight gain
- normalization ofearting habits
- SSRIs such as Fluoxetine (Prozac).
- Atypical antipsychotics such as Olanzapine.
why are atypical antipsychotics such as Olanapine used to treat eating disorders?
it improves mood and decreases resistance to weight gain
Why is fluoxetine used in the treatment of bulimia?
to reduce the number of binge eating and vomiting episodes
Why is Sertraline (Zoloft) used in the treatment of Binge eating disorder?
reduces the frequency binges and the overall severity of the illness