Flashcards in EQ2 - 3.6 Rapid Population Growth Creates Opportunities And Challenges For People Living In The Chosen Megacity (C) Deck (10):
How has rapid population growth influenced higher income in Lagos?
- About 4x higher than those in rural areas and informal sector jobs mean most people can find a way of making money - the huge population means there is a large market for services.
How has rapid population growth influenced industry in Lagos?
- Lagos is home to may banks, government departments and manufacturing industries.
- 2 major ports and a fishing industry, all of which provide employment.
- Rapid growth of the city means there are lots of construction jobs.
How has rapid population growth influenced healthcare and schooling improvement in Lagos?
- More healthcare centres and hospitals and a better range of medicines in Lagos and there is better access to higher education - Lagos has 6 universities.
How has rapid population growth influenced water and electrical improvement in Lagos?
- Possible to access electricity and water networks as well as TV and the internet.
What challenges in squatter settlements are Lagos facing?
- Over 60% of the population live in slums.
- Houses are often flimsy or wooden huts - illegally built so people are faced with eviction if the slums aren't demolished.
- Only electricity comes from illegal connections.
- High levels of crime, many slums are patrolled by 'area boys' who commit crimes and act as informal police in the slum.
What 'Limited service provision' challenges are Lagos facing?
- Isn't enough schools for the population.
- Isn't enough healthcare facilities and many people can't afford to pay for treatment.
What waste disposal challenges does Lagos face?
- Most of the city doesn't have proper access to sewers. In Makoko, communal toilets are shared between 15 households and most of the waste goes straight to the Lagoon; lagoon is always full of rubbish and raw sewage.
- The huge population produces lots of waste approximately 9000tonnes per day.
- Only about 40% of rubbish is officially collected.
What challenges are caused by traffic congestion in Lagos?
- Little investment in transport infrastructure, despite the city growing enormously.
- Public transport is limited, although there are plants to improve it.
- CBD is on an island, only 3 bridges link it to the rest of the city.
What challenges are caused by poor employment conditions in Lagos?
- Isn't enough formal jobs for the growing population - people have to make money in anyway they can.
- 60% of the population work in informal jobs.
- No protection for informal worker. Street sellers' stalls are bulldozed to make way for new developments and road widening.
- Lots of people live on $1.25 a day.