Flashcards in 9 - Fungal infection Deck (13):
Are fungi eukaryotes or prokaryotes?
NOTE: they have a similar metabolism to humans
Which of the 2 phyla make up 90% of all human fungal infections?
What do basidiomycetes make up?
How do fungi digest their food?
What is the collective name for organisms that do this?
- they produce hydrolytic enzymes which are pumped out into the environment
- they (are powerful polymer degrading substances which) rot the material around them
- so the fungus us effectively suspended in its food sourc
Give some examples of fungal allergies that result due to inhalation of fungal spores?
- ABPA (allergic broncho-pulmonary aspergillosis)
List some symptoms of mycotoxicoses
- breathing problems
- severe vomiting
- hepatic and renal failure (6 days later)
What is the treatment for mycotoxicoses?
- gastric lavage (wash out toxins)
- liver transplant
What are the classifications of fungi based on the level of tissue they affect (i.e. the four types of mycoses)?
Why are cutaneous mycosis given the name Tinea?
latin for worm
caused by worm-like parasites
What is a mycetoma?
a type of subcutaneous mycosis
a chronic infection of the skin, subcutaneous tissue ands sometimes bone. Characterised by discharging sinuses filled with organisms.
What re the 2 types of deep/systemic mycoses?
primary/dimorphic - able to establish infection in a normal host
opportunistic - require a compromised host in order to establish infection
What type of fungal infections are Candida infections?