Flashcards in ADA Stmt on Physical Activity Deck (19):
How often should prolonged sitting be interrupted?
What sort of exercise should people with Dm participate in
aerobic and resistance training
How many minutes a week should people with DM do physical activity
Along with exercise, what should people at high risk for DM do to prevent or delay DM
weight loss of 5-7%
What should be done to maintain blood glucose when people with T1DM exercise?
- add'l CHO intake
- reduced insulin
If bs is 90-150 what needs to be done prior to exercise?
If bs is 150-250, what needs to be done prior to exercise
Nothing, put down that pizza and pump that iron girl!
If bs is above 250, what needs to be done prior to exercise
Delay exercise. Bs can actually increase if exercise right now
When should ketones be tested?
bs > 250
Is medical clearance necessary for asymptomatic (cardiac sx) pts before low to moderate intensity exercise is started?
What are the exercise recommendations for kids/adolescents with T1DM or T2DM
- 60 min/day or more of mod or vigorous intensity aerobics
- vigorous aerobics, muscle-strengthening, and bone strengthening at least 3 days/week
How often should adults with DM do resistance exercises?
2-3 times / week
What can be done to prevent exercise-related hypoglycemia
- insulin regimen and CHO intake changes
- short sprints
- perform resistance training before aerobics in the same session
- activity timing
How to mitigate the risk of nocturnal hypoglycemia following physical activity?
- reduce basal insulin dose
- lower-intensity aerobic cool down
- avoid exercising with hyperglycemia and elevated blood ketones
What should be done with meds other than insulins prior to physical exercise?
- some can increase risks of exercise-related hypoglycemia
- adjust doses as necessary
Who should avoid exercising outdoors on hot/humid days to avoid heat-related illness
- older adults with DM
- anyone with autonomic neuropathy
- CV complications
- pulmonary dz
How to progress exercise training to min risk of injury?
What is a very important habit for people with peripheral neuropathy?
proper foot care