Flashcards in African Apes & Humans Compared Deck (9)
Is it true to say that humans evolved from African apes?
No, it's not. The two groups evolved from a common ancestor.
What are the anatomical similarities between Apes and humans?
- lack external nails
- hands with opposable thumbs
- have fingers and toes with flat nails
- eyes that face forward
- molar and premolars teeth with low and rounded cusps.
What are their are their anatomical differences?
- skeletal differences
- skull differences
- brain differences
What is the main skeletal difference?
Habitual bipedalism in humans
What are the skeletal differences between apes and humans
- arms longer than legs
- fingers and toes long and curved
- big toes, divergent
-hip ones large
- arms shorter and weaker than legs
- fingers and toes short and straight
- thumbs grasp easily
- shorter, broader pelvis
- longer femurs
- spine curvature, two major curves > thoracic and lumbar
How are human brains different from apes?
Humans have much a larger brain, especially cerebral cortex
What unique qualities is brain responsible for?
- tool making
- use and control fire
- use highly developed language
What are the skull differences?
- Humans don't have pronounced brow ridges
- Foramen magnum found centrally under skull in humans,apes at rear end of skull
- humans have large brain case, small jaws, nearly vertical face & chin
- canine of teeth of humans are relatively small, apes large and pointed