What are the 2 main types of search in Salesforce?
- GLOBAL SEARCH: Search results appear when users search using the global search bar
- LOOKUP SEARCH: Results appear when users search using the lookup fields of a record.
The list of records can also be searched using the list view search bar
The Global Search features
- The columns that appear in search result can be personalized with search layout
- Instant results: allow accessing the top 5 results instantly without pressing Enter to run a full search
- Recent Items: List Recently viewed items when user click in the search bar
- Full Search: Search all objects that are searchable and visible to the user
- Full Object Specific Search: Search within the current object and takes the user to the object search results page.
Also “Limit Search To” can be added to full search for the same result
The Lookup Search Definition
This component allows to search results in the lookup field when you try to associate 2 records. Ex.: If you try to search for accounts in the Account lookup field on a Contact Record.
The Results depend on the sharing settings of the object for that user’s profile. The object needs to be searchable for the record to appear in the sear result
The Lookup Search Features
- Instant Results: Instant dynamic list of suggested matches appear when the user click on the search bar
- Lookup filters: Admin can restrict the valid values. Ex. Restrict to search only active accounts
- Dependant lookup: The results of one lookup depend on the value selected in another lookup field.
- Returns a maximum of 2,000 records. if your result is not included in the result, try to be more precise in your keywords
- Spell correction is applied to list view searches. Ex.: “Parish” will also return results for “Paris”
Allows users to search data stored outside of SF, from the inside the SF search. This serach is done using connectors (provided by partners) between SF and external data repositories like Dropbox, Confluence, SharePoint…
Federated Search can be configured in “Experience Cloud Sites”
Search Result Layout considerations
- Each object has a default search layout assigned to users who have a specific Profile search Layout
- A Search Layout can have up to 10 fields
- The default layout applies to Classic and lightning
- The unique Identifying field (Ex. Account name) cannot be removed from the search layout
Einstein Search is enabled bt default in Lightning Experience. It improves the standard Global Search Feature to deliver results tailored to each users” specific needs.