Flashcards in Atomic Structure Deck (11):
What do we know from Rutherford's scattering investigations?
Every atom contains:
• A positively charged nucleus composed of protons and neutrons.
• Electrons that surround the nucleus.
What are nucleons?
Total number of protons and neutrons in an atom.
How are electrons held in the atom?
Electrons are held in the atom by the electrostatic force of attraction between them and the nucleus.
How do the masses compare between the nucleons and the electrons?
• Electron has a much smaller mass than the proton or the neutron.
• Proton and the neutron have an almost equal mass.
• Electron has equal and opposite charge to the proton, a neutron is uncharged.
What is the relative mass of a proton?
What is the relative mass of a neutron?
What is the relative mass of an electron?
What is the proton number?
The proton number is also known as the atomic number.
What are isotopes?
Atoms with the same number of protons and different number of neutrons.
What is a nuclide?
Type of nucleus.