Flashcards in ATP-PC SYSTEM Deck (11)
How is the ATP-PC system powered?
The chemical fuel of the ATP:
What is the enzyme which breaks down phosphocreatine (PC)?
The controlling enzyme used to break down phosphocreatine (PC) is creatine kinase.
How does the ATP-PC system work?
1. PC is broken down by creatine kinase to release energy.
2. The same pocket of energy then builds up ADP+P to form ATP.
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the ATP-PC system?
1. Rapid and simple reaction, only 2-10 seconds.
2. Occurs without any special features of the muscle cell.
3. No fatiguing by-products.
1. The capacity to maintain ATP levels with this system is limited.
2. Only lasts for a few seconds.
What are some sporting examples of when the ATP-PC system is used?
When the system is used:
-Jump shot in basketball.
-Start of a 400m race.
What type of reaction is the ATP-PC system?
The ATP-PC system is an exothermic reaction.
What is the site of reaction in the ATP-PC system?
The site of reaction in the ATP-PC system is the sarcoplasm.
How much ATP is re-synthesised in the ATP-PC system?
In the ATP-PC system, every 1 molecule of PC = 1 molecule of ATP so the ratio is 1:1.
What is the intensity of the ATP-PC system?
The intensity of the ATP-PC system is very high.
What is the duration of the ATP-PC system?
The duration of the ATP-PC system is 2-10 seconds.