Flashcards in Aviation Forecasts Deck (103)
What is an ARFORS?
Area weather forecast
What height do ARFORS go up to?
Where are ARFORS available from?
ATC, FS, and Met office
The conditions in ARFORS have a probability of what?
50% or greater
Format of ARFORS
- Issue time in UTC
- Period of validity (DDHHMM in UTC) and the ARFOR area number
- Wind velocity in standard heights (Wind in True)
- Temperature at standard heights at and above 10,000ft is given with the wind velocity
- Cloud (AMSL)
- Weather situation
- Freezing level
- Airframe ice details
- Special location weather forecasts
How much is Australia ahead of UTC?
8- 10 hours depending on the region
Australian Eastern Time?
Period of validity of ARFOR?
Usually, 12 hours but can vary
How is validity expressed?
Two six-figure date/ time groups
Explain six figure date/time group...
What does this mean?
262300 TO 271100 AREA 21
Valid from: 2300Z 26th Day of month
Valid till: 1100Z on the 27th Day of the month
What is wind direction rounded to?
Nearest 10 degrees
Are forecasts in True or Magnetic?
What is wind speed rounded to?
Nearest 5 knots
What are the standard heights?
For winds not at standard heights?
Interpolate or read the nearest height
What heights are temperatures forecasted at?
How are temperatures written?
ZERO- 0 degrees
What is the cloud height above?
Cloud types abbreviated....
- CI: CIRRUS
- CS: CIRROSTRATUS
- CC: CIRROCUMULUS
- AS: ALTOSTRATUS
- AC: ALTOCUMULUS
- NS: NIMBOSTRATUS
- CB: CUMLINONIMNUS
- CU: CUMULUS
- SC: STRATOCUMULUS
- ST: STRATUS
Eights of cloud are referred to as..
Cloud amount abbreviations...
- SKC: SKY CLEAR 0
- FEW: FEW 1-2 OKTAS
- SCT: SCATTERED 3- 4 OKTAS
- BKN: BROKEN 5- 7 OKTAS
- OVC: OVERCAST 8 OKTAS
Cumulonimbus cloud amount abbreviations...
- ISOL: ISOLATED (INDIVIDUAL CB)
- OCNL: OCCASIONAL ( WELL SEPARATED)
- FRQ: FREQUENT (LITTLE OR NO SEPARATION)
- EMBD: EMBEDDED IN OTHER CLOUD
What is BC?
What is BL?
What is DR?
What is FZ?
What is MI?
What is SH?