Flashcards in B. System Of Government Deck (35):
13. Name one branch or part of the government?
- the courts
14. What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
-checks and balances
- separation of powers
15. Who is in charge of the executive branch?
16. Who makes federal laws
- Senate and House (of Representatives)
- (U. S. Or national)legislature
17. What are two parts of the U.S. congress?
The Senate and House ( of Representatives)
18. How many U.S. Senators are there?
- one hundred (100)
19. We elect a U.S senator for how many years?
20. Who is one of your state’s U.S. Senators now?
Dianne Feinstein (d)
Kamala Harris (d)
21. The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
Four hundred thirty five (435)
22. We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
23. Name your U. S. Representative?
24. Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
All people of the state
25. Why does some states have more Representatives than other states?
- (Because of) the state’s population
- (because) they have more people
- (because) some states have more people
26. We elect a President for how many years?
27. In what month do we vote for President?
28. What is the name of the President of the United States now?
29. What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?
30. If the President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
The Vice President
31. If Both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?
The Speaker of the House
32. Who is the commander in Chief of the military?
33. Who signs the bills to become laws?
34. Who vetoes bills?
35. What does the President’s Cabinet do?
Advises the President
36. What are two Cabinet-level positions?
- Secretary of Agriculture
- secretary of commerce
- secretary of defense
- secretary of education
-secretary of energy
- secretary of health and human services
- secretary of Homeland security
-secretary of housing and urban development
- secretary of the interior
- Secretary of labor
- secretary of state
- Secretary of transportation
37. What does the judicial branch do?
- review laws
- explains laws
- resolved disputes (disagreements)
- decides if a law goes against the constitution
38. What is the highest court in the United States?
The Supreme Court
39. How many justices are on the Supreme Court?
40. Who is the Chief Justice of the United States now?
41. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the federal government. What is one power of the federal government?
- to print money
- to declare war
- to create an army
- to make treaties
42. Under our Constitution, some powers belong to the states. What is one power of the states?
- provide schooling and education
- provide protection (police)
- provide safety (fire departments)
- give a driver’s license
- approve zoning and land use
43. Who is the governor of your state?
44. What is the capital of your state?
45. What are the two major political parties in the United States?
Democratic and Republic
46. What is the political party of the President now?