Flashcards in Bonding Deck (12):
Ionic - what is the attraction called?
Ionic- the higher the charge.....
The higher the melting point
Ionic - lose electrons
Ionic - gain electrons
What is ionic bonding between?
Metals and non metals, create compounds
What is covalent bonding between?
Non metals, nucleus and electrons, creates elements/compounds
What is metallic bonding between?
Metals, positive metal ions and delocalised electrons, elements
What are the properties of metallic elements?
Magnetic, conductors, malleable and ductile because whenever the cation gets hit, the electron flows with it making it hard to break (doesn't have rigid bonds) , are giant structures of positive ions surrounded by a sea of delocalised electrons.
- 4 covalent bonds
- insulator ( no free electrons )
- strong: millions of strong covalent bonds
- used in cutting because they are so strong
- 3 covalent bonds
- conductor ( 1 free electron )
- soft: lots of strong covalent bonds but have weak intermolecular forces
- used as a lubricant because the covalent bonds slide over each other
What have simple structures
- have low melting point
- weak intermolecular forces