Flashcards in Cancer chemotherapy Deck (11):
What are advantages to chemotherapy?
What are disadvantages of chemotherapy?
Lacks selective toxicity. It's cytotoxic to normal cells.
What is alopecia?
Hair falling out
Anti-cancer drugs kill cells according to what?
first order kinetics.
Reasons why giving chemo has lesser cell kill than theoretical?
- Toxicity: bone marrow suppression so treatment may have to be delayed for blood count to recover.
- Drug resistance: nearly always develps.
- Tumour growth characteristics: As tumor grows, cells are dormant and hard to kill.
What are CCS agents?
Cell cycle specific agents.
They act during a certain phase in the cycle. G0 seems to be unaffected
Examples of CCS agents?
Antimetabolites - methotrexate (Stop DNA synthesis)
Antimicrotubules - vinca alkaloids (induce metaphase arrest)
Podophyllin alkaloids - etopside (inhibit topoisomerase causing damage)
What are CCNS agents?
cell cycle non specific agents. Kill both dividing and G0 cells.
Examples of CCNS agents?
What are the 4 mechanisms of resistance?
1. Enhanced expression/alteration of target
2. Incr. production of glutathione (GSH) - inactivates drug and aids in elimination
3. Incr. repair capacity for DNA damage
4. Incr. expression of P-glycoprotein efflux pump (actively pumps out dru)