Casket Materials Flashcards Preview

Funeral Merchandising > Casket Materials > Flashcards

Flashcards in Casket Materials Deck (33):
1

the purchase, display,and sale of goods

merchandising

2

goods that are bought and sold

merchandise

3

case/recptacle for dead human remains; anthropodal shaped

coffin

4

chest of valuable possessions

casse

5

rigid container which is designed for encasement of remains and usually constructed of wood metal/like material and ornamented and lined with fabric

casket

6

glue that binds cellulose together; allows wood to breathe

lignin

7

deciduous; close grain pattern; strong and tough; more expensive

hardwood

8

casket constructed from many different species of wood. component parts of single casket will not necessarily be constructed of the same species of wood

select hardwood

9

coniferous; less distinct grain pattern; knot holes and other imperfections; soft and easy to work

soft woods

10

made by unitiing superimposed layers of different materials;

laminates

11

created by gluing thin layer of wood of superior value/ excellent grain to an inferior wood

wood veneer

12

created by giving thin layer of man made material to an inferior wood/other material

artificial laminates

13

card board; alternate containers; cloth covered caskets

corrugated fiberboard

14

particle of wood bonded together with waterproof glue

composition board

15

thin sheets of wood glued together with grains at right angles to one another

ply wood

16

why do people select wood

natural warmth and beauty, uniqueness in grain pattern, familarity

17

any metal that contains iron; steel, stainless steal

ferrous

18

metal alloy consist mainly of iron and carbon

steel

19

substance composed of 2/more metals

alloy

20

measurements of thickness of metals; number of sheets of metal necessary to equal apporximate 1 inch of thickness

gauge

21

metal alloy of steel, chromium, and somtimes nickle; resists rust; must have a min of 11% chromium

stainless steel

22

12% chromium, 0% nickle. used in car mufflers; magnetic

400 series

23

18% chromium, 8% nickle. used in table ware, sailboat cleats, shackles and jet engines; non magnetic

300 series

24

any metal not formed from iron; copper, bronze, "precious", "semiprecious"

nonferrous

25

malleable, ductile, metallic element; reddish brown color; naturally resistant to rust/corrosion

copper

26

copper metal rolled into sheets

wrought copper

27

core of copper metal, copper ions combined by an electrolytic process; seamless casket

copper deposit

28

molten copper poured into a mold, mold broken away, very expensive

seamless solid cast copper

29

metal alloy consisting of 90% copper with tin and sometimes zinc comprising the other 10%; naturally resistant to rust/corrosion

bronze

30

bronze metal rolled into sheets

wrought bronze

31

molten bronze poured inot mold and allowed to cool; most expensive type

cast bronze

32

compound with high molecular weight; similar in appearance to plasic; extemely available

polymer

33

fine filaments of glass embedded in various resins

fiberglass