Flashcards in Chapter 2: Drawing organic structures Deck (11)
group number of an atom is equivalent to what?
no. of valence electrons
what does number of electrons required to achieve stable configuration equals to?
no. of bonds required
Draw all covalent bonds combination for C,N,O,H,X (halogens)
How many covalent bonds does each atom (C,H,O,N,X) require?
how many lone pair of electrons does each atom (C,H,O,N,X) require?
what are the steps to draw lewis structure?
1. join polyvalent atoms
2. join monovalent atoms
3. Add double or triple bond if needed
4. count total valence electrons for entire molecule
5. distribute valence electrons into drawings
6. calculate formal charge
what are the steps to draw condensed structure?
1. start from first polvalent atom
2. place the monovalent atom next to the first
what are the steps to draw skeletal structure?
1. only remove hydrogens that are bonded to carbons
2. remove carbons and covert it to tips instead
3. structure has to be zig-zag
what is a simple line?
a single bond that falls flat on the plane
what is a wedge line?
a single bond that points out of the plane toward you