Flashcards in Chapter 6 Deck (14):
What are the 3 physical properties of water?
- a clear, colorless liquid at room temperature
- boils at 100 degrees Celsius
- freezes at 0 degrees Celsius
What are the 3 chemical properties of water?
- Made of hydrogen atoms and oxygen atoms in a 2 to 1 ratio
-Does not burn
- Reacts with some metals
What are the 4 things indicating that a chemical reaction has occurred?
1. Change in properties of the materials involved
2. Formation of a gas from solid or a liquid reactants
3. Changes in texture or hardness
4. One or more new substances are produced
What is an open system?
A system in which matter can enter from or escape to the surroundings
What is a closed system?
A system in which no matter is allowed to enter or leave
What are three types of ways to classify chemical reactions?
Synthesis, decomposition, and replacement
Define activation energy
The minimum amount of energy needed to start a chemical reaction
The amount of a substance in a given volume
A material that increases the rate of a reaction by lowering the activation energy
A biological catalyst that lowers the activation energy of a reaction in cells
How is activation energy related to chemical reactions
Oh chemical reactions require a certain amount of activation energy to get started
What factors affect the rate of a chemical reaction
Surface area, temperature, concentration, and the presence of catalysts or inhibitors
A material used to decrease the rate of a reaction