Flashcards in Chapter 6 - RAF Career Structures Deck (37):
In number 1 service dress (ceremonial dress) where are the badges of rank found for:
1) commissioned officers
2) warrant officers
4) other ranks
1) around lower part of sleeve
2) badge on lower part of sleeve
3) chevrons on upper part of sleeve
4) badge on upper part of sleeves
In number 2 service dress (working dress) where are all rank’s badges of rank found?
Epaulettes on the shoulder
What does PCS(CU) stand for?
Where are badges of rank found on this uniform for all ranks?
Personal Clothing System (Combat Uniform)
Male officers and warrant officers should be called?
Female officers and warrant officers should be called?
NCOs should be referred to as?
Airman and civilian staff should be referred to as?
Commissioned officers hold the...
Officer cadets do not and can be identified by which two things?
White band around their peaked hats, white disc behind their beret badges
Name the two junior NCOs
Name the senior NCOs
Lance Corporal, Corporal
Sergeant, flight sergeant, warrant officer
All COs and NCOs have specific responsibilities towards juniors in rank. Name the main 4
Name the non-commissioned RAF ranks in order and describe the insignia.
1) AC - none
2) LAC - 2 armed propeller
3) SAC - 3 armed propeller (with circle if tech)
4) Lance Corporal (RAF reg as of 2010) - one chevron
5) Corporal - two chevrons
6) sergeant - three chevrons
7) flight sergeant/chief tech - 3 chev and a crown/4 armed propeller
8) warrant officer - coat of arms
Name the commissioned officer ranks in order and describe the insignia.
1) pilot officer - 1 thin line
2) flying officer - 1 thicker line
3) flight lieutenant - 2 thicker lines
4) squadron leader - thin line sandwiched between two thicker
5) wing commander - 3 thicker lines
6) group captain - thicker lines
7) air commodore - thick line
8) Air Vice Marshal - thicker line and thick line
9) Air Marshal - 2 thicker lines and thick line
10) air chief marshal - 3 thicker and 1 thick
11) marshal of the RAF - 4 thicker 2 thick
Name the non-commissioned army ranks in order and describe insignia.
1) private - none
2) Lance Corporal - 1 chevron
3) Corporal - 2 chevrons
4) sergeant - 3 chevrons
5) colour/staff sergeant - crown + 3 chevrons
6) WO2 - big crown or big crown w/wreath
7) WO1 - coat of arms
Name the commissioned army ranks and describe insignia.
1) second lieutenant - 1 pip
2) lieutenant - 2 pips
3) captain - 3 pips
4) major - crown
5) lieutenant colonel - crown and 1 pip
6) colonel - crown and 2 pips
7) brigadier - crown and 3 pips (triangle)
8) major general - pip and swords
9) Lieutenant General - crown and swords
10) general - crown, pip, swords
11) field marshal - crown and cross in pretty circle
Name the non-commissioned navy ranks in order and describe the insignia.
1) ordinary rate - none
2) able rate - none
3) leading rate - anchor
4) petty officer - 2 crossed anchors w/crown
5) chief petty officer - anchor in circle, crown above, wreath around
6) WO2 - crown with wreath
7) WO1 - coat of arms
Name the commissioned navy ranks in order and describe the insignia.
1) midshipman - lollipop
2) sub-lieutenant - looped line
3) lieutenant - looped line and a line
4) lieutenant commander - looped line, thin line and thicker line
5) commander - looped line, 2 lines
6) captain - looped line, 3 lines
7) commodore - thick line, circle above
8) rear admiral - thick line, looped line above
8) vice admiral - thick line, thinner line, looped line
9) admiral - thick line, 2 thinner lines, looped line
10) admiral of the fleet - thick line, 3 thinner lines, looped line
Name the corresponding ranks to LAC/SAC
Army - private
Navy - ordinary rate, able rate
Name the equivalent ranks to Lance Corporal
Army - Lance Corporal
Navy - none
Name the equivalent ranks to Corporal
Army - Corporal
Navy - leading rate
Name the equivalent ranks to sergeant
Army - sergeant
Navy - petty officer
Name the equivalent ranks to flight sergeant/chief technician
Army - staff/colour sergeant
Navy - chief petty officer
What rank do the army and navy have that the RAF doesn’t?
Warrant officer class 2
Name the equivalent ranks to warrant officer/master aircrew
Army - warrant officer 1
Navy - warrant officer 1
Name the equivalent ranks to pilot officer
Army - second lieutenant
Navy - midshipman
Name the equivalent ranks to flying officer
Army - lieutenant
Navy - sub-lieutenant
Name the equivalent ranks to flight lieutenant
Army - captain
Navy - lieutenant
Name the equivalent ranks to squadron leader
Army - major
Navy - lieutenant commander
Name the equivalent ranks to wing commander
Army - lieutenant colonel
Navy - commander
Name the equivalent ranks to group captain
Army - colonel
Navy - captain
Name the equivalent ranks to air commodore
Army - brigadier
Navy - commodore
Name the equivalent ranks to Air Vice Marshal
Army - major general
Navy - rear admiral
Name the equivalent ranks to Air Marshal
Army - Lieutenant General
Navy - vice admiral
Name the equivalent ranks to Air chief marshal
Army - general
Navy - admiral
Name the equivalent ranks to Marshal of the RAF
Army - field marshal
Navy - admiral of the fleet
The present trade structure was introduced on the 1st April ____.
Name the 3 aims of the trade structure.
1) to produce ground airman trainee to match the requirements of the service
2) make best use of each individuals ability
3) provide a worthwhile career
What is the initial engagement length of service for recruits?
What is the length reserve liability?
List 1 trades have which two ranks incorporated?
List 2 trades have which two ranks incorporated?