Flashcards in Collective Rights Deck (9)
What are collective rights
currently only 4 recognised
4 collective rights currently recognised?
1) Self-determination Art 1 ICCPR
2) Permanent Sovereignty over Natural Resources Art 1(2) ICCPR
3) Right to Development GA (1986)
4) Indigenous Rights GA (2007)
What is the difference from minority rights?
MRs are asserted individually, need not have connection to land
protects minorities,: enjoy on culture, own religion own language
How are minority rights asserted?
As individuals collective, NOT as a collective as an entitity
CRITISISM OF COLLECTIVE RIGHTS
1) Human rights cannot be collective (Donnelly on the right to development)
2) Individuals right are subordinated by group rights
3) Difficulty identifying the “group” competing claims between groups, questions about who represents the groups
4) Rights inflation (Ignatieff)
Wjy should indigenous people have additional protection?
Relationship with land
UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (2007)
Individual and collective right; Equality and non-discrimination
Self-determination (autonomy); Culture, religion and institutions
Consultation/decision-making; Land Rights; Restitution and compensation