Flashcards in confined spaces Deck (38)
What are the criteria for a permit required confined space?
(1) Contains or has a potential to contain a hazardous atmosphere; (2) Contains a material that has the potential for engulfing an entrant; (3) Has an internal configuration such that an entrant could be trapped or asphyxiated by inwardly converging walls or by a floor which slopes downward and tapers to a smaller cross-section; or (4) Contains any other recognized serious safety or health hazard.
What is the recertification timeframe for confined space certification?
Every 3 years.
What is the OSHA standard for permit-required confined spaces?
What is the definition of an oxygen deficient atmosphere?
An atmosphere containing less than 19.5 percent oxygen by volume
What is the definition of an oxygen enriched atmosphere?
An atmosphere containing more than 23.5 percent oxygen by volume
Three main confined space facts
• Many of the fatalities were would-be rescuers whojumped into the confined space without thinking.• In 78% of the accidents, there was either no or poorventilation.• In every case, there was no air testing or monitoring.
The entrant and attendant in all confined space operations must:
Have current CPR and First Aid certifications.
The person responsible for overseeing anddetermining if acceptable entry conditions arepresent at a permit space where entry is planned iscalled the
The standby attendant will continue to monitoratmosphere levels and record every ______ minutes
Approximately _____ percent of those who die inconfined space accidents are attempting to rescueothers
65 to 70
LFL stands for:
Lower flammable limit
The Comcast maximum oxygen level is ______%.
What form must be completed prior to entering apermit-required confinedspace?
Comcast Confined Space Entry Permit
How long are entry permits required to be kept onfile?
A confined space is one that:
• is large enough and so configured that an employee can bodily enter and perform assigned work• has limited or restricted means for entry or exit (forexample, tanks, vessels, silos, storage bins, hoppers,vaults and pits are spaces that may have limited means of entry)• is not designed for continuous employee occupancy
A non-permit confined space is one that:
Does not contain, or with respect to atmospheric hazards, have the potential to contain any hazard capable of causing death or serious physical harm. These spaces do not require an entry permit and do not require specific confined space training.
OSHA 1910.268 o(3)
Allows technicians to enter a jointly occupied manholewhile working alone.
Comcast requires ___ ___________ for all permit required confined space operations.
There are three technician roles associated with confinedspace operations:
• Entrant• Attendant• Supervisor
Hydrogen Sulfide must be lower than
Carbon Monoxide must be lower than
The basic safety hazards you need to be aware ofinclude:
• Communication problems• Entry and exit considerations• Physical conditions
Hazardous atmospheres can be dividedinto four distinct categories:
• Flammable• Toxic• Irritant and/or Corrosive• Asphyxiating
The following entry and exit details must be considered:
• Type of confined space to be entered• Access to the entrance• Number and size of openings• Barriers within the space• Occupancy load (if any)• Time requirement for exiting in event of fire or vaporincursion• Time required to rescue injured entrant(s)
The normal atmosphere is composed approximately of:
20.9% oxygen, 78.1% nitrogen, and 1% argon with small amounts of various other gases.
OxygenCombustible and flammable vaporsToxic gases and vapors.
When testing the atmosphere, check for gases in thefollowing order:
1. Oxygen2. Combustible and flammable vapors3. Toxic gases and vapors
All confined space atmospheres shall be pre-tested at a minimum of three (3) levels within the space prior to entry.
top, middle, and bottom
Once a satisfactory air sample has been taken, ventilate the space for a minimum of __ _______ before allowing the entrant to enter.
All rescue personnel must practice making permit spacerescues at least once every
There is a danger of asphyxiation or suffocation if theoxygen level falls below:
Confined space training is required for all:
Authorized entrants and attendantsSupervisors and rescue personnelAuthorized entrants, attendants, and rescue personnel
The acceptable oxygen level range for confined spaceset by OSHA is:
19.5% to 23.5%
As an authorized entrant you should know thefollowing about the hazards of a given space:
What they are, how you can be exposed, signs, symptoms and consequences of exposure
A flammable/explosive atmosphere could contain:
Methane or acetylene gasesSolvents or fuel vaporsCoal or grain dust
The oxygen level in a permit-required confined spacecan be reduced by:
Use by another operationDisplacement by another gas
A permit-required space is:
A confined space that has or may contain one ofthe following hazards: atmospheric, engulfment,design or other serious safety/health hazard