Flashcards in Diabetes NOT FINISHED Deck (12)
What microvascular problems does diabetes mellitus cause?
What macrovascular problems does diabetes mellitus cause?
What are the symptoms of diabetes?
unexplained weight loss
What venous bind glucose is diagnostic of diabetes mellitus?
or an OGTT
- fasting blood glucose >7mmol/L
- random blood glucose
- OGTT value of >11.1mmol/L after 2hrs
What value HbA1C is diagnostic of diabetes mellitus?
>48mmol/L or 6.5%
In what groups of patients can you not use HbA1C?
- type 1 diabetes
Why are urine glucose tests normally done?
- too many false -ves
What is the cause of Type 1 diabetes?
- insulin deficiency from autoimmune destruction of B cells in pancreas
In what populations is Type 2 diabetes most prevalent?
- the elderly
What is the most common cause of DM2?
- decreased insulin secretion +/- increased insulin resistance
- It is associated with obesity, lack of exercise, calorie and alcohol XS
Which has a stronger genetic influence, Type 1 or Type 2 diabetes?