Flashcards in Diseases We Vax Against Deck (12):
- Sx: coryzal, lymphadenopathy, furry grey coating on throat, SOB, swallowing issues
- Cx: suffocation, CCF, renal failure, nerve damage
- Sx + Sx in older kids
- Sx: coryzal Sx, whopping cough. In older kids, cough can go for ages "100 day cough" and also vomiting, petechiae around eyes
- Ix: nasal swab/PCR, serology
- Mx: Abx - makes index case non-infective but DOESN'T change course of illness, clarithromycin/azithromycin
- Cx: pneumonia, hypoxic encephalopathy
When is pertussis most dangerous and why?
Infant: can become cyanosed/apnoiec during whoop -> can get hypoxic encephalopathy -> permanent brain damage
Hib: what kinds of infection can it cause?
meningitis, epiglotittis, pneumonia, croup, peri-orbital cellulitis
How do you differentiate between peri-orbital and orbital cellulitis?
Eye movements (early stages pain, later stages diplopia), visual acuity (call ophthalmologist)
- what does it cause?
- why is it so important for each individual to be immunised?
- lock jaw, breathing/swallowing problems, convulsions, arrhythmias
- Herd immunity doesn't protect because of ground source, enters through breaks in skin (i.e. not person to person)
- Route of spread
- What does it cause?
- Faecal-oral: enterovirus
- anterior horn cells affected, clinical features depends on level of infection: mild Sx -> life-threatening paralysis
- Sx: constitutional, parotid swelling (usually bilat, tender)
- Many, inc infertility, encephalitis, meningitis, pancreatitis, myocarditis, miscarriage
- What are the 3+1 C's of measles?
- What rash do you get with measles?
- Serious Cx
- 3 C's:
• (Koplick spots)
- Confluent maculo-papular rash
• Bacterial secondary infection e.g. otitis media, pneumonia
• Encephalitis - can get SSPE years later
Rubella: when is the infection an issue, and why?
In utero esp T1:
- Congenital cataracts
- Growth retarded
- Higher risk of congenital cardiac lesion
Why is Hep B given at birth in Aus?
- Given at birth due to many unknown statuses of mothers (e.g. from SEA)