Flashcards in Electric Charge Deck (15):
What are electrical conductors ?
They are a material that allows a current to pass through them
How do materials conduct current ?
They have 'free' electrons, because current is a flow of electrons
What are insulators ?
They are materials that do not allow a current to flow through them
What can you NOT do to charge ?
You cannot destroy charge you can only move it
What is NAFPIGS ?
• + fur
• + silk
What is an induced charge ?
If a charge is induced on a neutral object then it can attract or repel electric charges
What is triboelectricity ?
A type of electricity generated by friction
What is the electrostatic phenomena ?
• this is an event where static electricity has a specific effect : e.g. An electric shock
• electrons move from one material to another, the material with a negative charge will then look for some way to earth its charge, which can cause an electric shock
Dangers of triboelectricity
• when an aircraft is flying, the air/clouds it passes through create friction and the aircraft becomes charged through triboelectricity
• this means when the plane is being re-fuelled, it still has a charge, this can cause a spark, as the charge jumps from the aircraft to the fuel igniting it
What can stop the dangers of triboelectricity?
• A earthing wire. This means hat a wire farting a current is attached to the aircraft.
• This means there is a safe route for the charge to escape from, this discharges the plane, making it safe to re-fuel
What are the 3 uses of charges ?
• electrostatic precipitator
• electrostatic paint spray
• ink-jet printer
Describe an ink-jet printer
• the ink-jet printer ejects ink
• the charged plates, which use different amounts of charge to steer the ink to the correct place in the page
Describe an electrostatic precipitator
• when the soot rises it gets a negative charge from the charging wire
• when it rises further up the chimney it gets attracted to the positively charged collecting plates
• where it collects all the spot an almost non of the soot gets into the atmosphere
Describe an electrostatic paint spraying
• the paint is positively charged because the electrons are transferred to the gun when the paint passes through it
• the object is negatively charged, the positively charged paint is attracted to the negatively charged object
• the object is fully covered by the paint because each droplet repels each other so fully covers the object