Flashcards in IP Addressing and Routing Deck (12):
stands for Address Resolution Protocol and it dynamically learns the data link address of an IP host connected to a LAN
If a device wants to communicate using TCP/IP, it needs .....
an IP address
Another term for octet
This must be true if all IP addresses are in the same group....
The IP addresses are not separated from each other by a router
IP addresses separated from each other by a router must be ......
in different groups
IPv4 Host Routing basics:
If the dest. IP address is in the same subnet, send directly to destination host; if not, send it to the default gateway
Router forwarding logic basics
1. Use FCS field to ensure error free delivery
2. If frame has no errors, discard old header and trailer, exposing IP packet
3. Compare IP packet's destination IP to the routing table
4. Encapsulate in new dll header and trailer
Objectives of routing table
To dynamically learn and fill its table with a route to each subnet
Find the best routes
Manage and replace lost routes if available
Prevent routing loops
Same general steps for learning routes
1. Each router adds a route to its table for each directly connected subnet
2. Informs neighbors about its routes; it also learns routes from other routers
a message that asks the simple request "if this is your IP address, please reply with your MAC address."
a message that lists both the original IP address and the matching MAC address