Flashcards in Liberation Psychology Deck (13):
Links between colonization and globalization
- Former colonies are still exploited in global economies (globalization relies on instrumental racism and European supremacy)
- It is a more subtle, pervasive form of colonialism
Economic, cultural + political process of Globalization
Economic: Post WWII made for harsh conditions that caused the govt. to cut down on social spenditure. Concept of poverty created - a person living on less that $1 a day.
Cultural + political: Poverty became an organizing principle used to justify hierarchy and continued colonial involvement in 'developing' countries.
The means by which relations of power are maintained and preserved, concealing social conflict by embodying ideas to justify inequality.
Process of diffusing the view of one society across the world and making it into common-sense knowledge.
Cycle of Oppression
Cycle of Liberation
Tiers of Cycles
Methods of Critical Psychological Research
What is a community?
- Common history + belief
- Geographical area
- Common interests + hobbies
- Common identity + difference
- Similar experience of exclusion + discrimination
- Similar work patterns
- Common politics + economics
Dimensions of a community
- Social knowledge
- Forming identities
Power relations (3)
Four Generation approach to social change
3. Community mobilization
4. Community mobilization in a globalized context