Flashcards in Liver Metabolism I & II Deck (16):
What is the anatomic unit of the liver?
hepatic lobule - the central vein is at the center of the lobule
What is the functional unit of the liver?
hepatic acinus - the portal tract is at the center of the acinus
What are the 8 major cell types of the liver?
Function of hepatocytes
general metabolic function
Function of Kupffer cells
Function of stellate cells
storage of lipid and vitamin A
primary source of fibrosis
Function of hepatic stem cells
role in regeneration
progenitors to hepatocytes and cholangiocytes
How is the liver involved in protein metabolism?
urea cycle metabolism
How is the liver involved in carbohydrate metabolism?
How is the liver involved in lipid metabolism?
fatty acid oxidation
How is the liver involved in lipid digestion?
breaks down triglycerides, cholesterol esters, and phospholipids
What are the liver coagulation factors?
Factors I, II, V, VII, VII, IX, and X
What other metabolisms is the liver involved in?
Name some clinical signs of liver disease
Explain the biochemical differences of obligate carnivores
1. high dietary protein requirements
2. lack of hepatic enzyme adaptation to low protein
3. essentiality of dietary arginine
4. low levels of ornithine
5. insufficiency of hepatic glutamate reductase
6. insufficiency of intestinal ornithine transcarbamylase
7. diversion to orotic acid metabolism
8. increased HDLs and reverse cholesterol tranasport to liver