Flashcards in Masonry Deck (10):
What are the different types of masonry?
- CMU: Concrete Masonry Units - Solid or Hollow.
- Glass Blocks - Solids
- Structural Clay Tiles - Hollow
- Clay Bricks - Solid
- Stone - Solid
Manufacturing Process of masonry units?
1. Raw Material
2. Raw Material Mixed
3. Mix pours into Mold
4. Precuring Stage
5. Mold open to expose cake
6. Mold and form separated
7. Cake is repositioned at tilter
8. Mold is cleaned
9. Mold is oiled
10. Mold Cases
11. Mold returns to mixer
A. Cake is cut into blocks
B. Blocks uncured placed in autoclave
C. Cured blocks removed from autoclave
D. Blocks are shrink wraped and placed on pallets
E. Blocks transported to shipping area
Basic Dry Ingredients for mortar?
- Portland Cement
- Masonry Cement
- Hydrated Lime
Mortar is a Mixture of?
- Cementitious Material
Mortar can be classified as?
- Cement-Lime mortar
- Cement Mortar
- Masonry Cement Mortar
Types of Mortar?
- M: 2500 psi
- S: 1800 psi
- N: 750 psi
- O: 350 psi
What are mortars used for?
- Bonding masonry units together, either non-reinforced or reinforced
- Serving as a seating material for the units
- Leveling and seating the units
- Providing aesthetic quality of the structure
What is a grout and its use?
- High-slump consisting of PC, sand, fine gravel, water and sometimes lime.
- Used to fill the cores or voids in hollow masonry units.
What are the different purposes of grout?
1. Bonding the masonry units
2. Bonding the reinforcing steel to the masonry
3. increasing the bearing area
4. increasing fire resistance
5. Improving overturning resistance by increasing weight