Flashcards in Metabolic Rate Deck (5)
Why must you avoid splashing water when filling the consol jar with dechlorinated water?
- May aerate water = bubbles form in jar
- volume measurements = inaccurate if water splashed out of jar
Why did you have to ensure that there were no air bubbles under the lid of the consol jar?
- air bubbles = add O2 to sample via gas diffusion -> skew results
Why did you have to keep disturbance to a minimum?
- fish in resting and undisturbed environment
- stressed environment = changes BMR = uses excess O2 = render results of experiment inaccurate
Were you calculating BMR or SMR of the goldfish?
BMR - basal metabolic rate
- the fish was undergoing minimal activity which is a characteristic of BMR
Why is it necessary to continuously swirl the solution when titrating the thiosulphate solution?
- ensure entirely mixed & reacted quickly -> ensure endpoint not overshot