Flashcards in Music History Deck (25):
A chorus from Messiah
Who wrote the Messiah?
George Frideric Handel
what is an oratorio?
- a large scale choral work
- usually sacred and based on a biblical story
- components include an overture, recitatives, arias, and choruses
- performed in a concert setting, without costumes, staging, or scenery
what is a chorus?
- a vocal composition, often included in oratorios and other large-scale choral works
- often written for SATB
a female voice, high in register
a female voice, low in register
a male voice, high is register
a male voice, low in register
Genre (Hallelujah Chorus)
chorus from an oratorio
Performing forces (Hallelujah Chorus)
SATB chorus accompanied by orchestra
Text source (Hallelujah Chorus)
drawn from the New Testament of the Bible
a device often used to depict the meaning of the text in vocal music
Who wrote the Magic Flute?
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
what is an opera?
- a play set to music
- performing forces: soloists, chorus, orchestra
- scenery, costumes, and lighting are combined with the music to tell story
what is an aria?
- solo song in an opera or oratorio
- allows character to express his or her feelings and emotions
Aria from the Magic Flute
Queen of the Night Aria
Genre (Queen of the Night Aria)
aria from opera
Performing forces (Queen of the Night Aria)
coloratura soprano accompanied by orchestra
a special voice type trained to execute virtuosic passages of music
Who wrote Over the Rainbow
where is Over the Rainbow from?
The Wizard of Oz
what is a verse--chorus structure
- common song structure in popular music
- verses developed the character/storyline while the "chorus" acts as a tuneful refrain
Genre (Over the Rainbow)
solo song, from the film The Wizard of Oz
Performing forces (Over the Rainbow)
solo voice (Originally composed for Judy Garland) and orchestra