Flashcards in Objective 06: Sodium Zeolite Softening Deck (5)
Sodium Zeolite Softening
Uses a granular material called zeolite to remove and retain scale-forming calcium and magnesium cations from water and replace them with non-scale forming sodium cations.
For how long can Sodium Zeolite Softener be run?
Until it has given up all of its sodium cations
Describe for the process for Regeneration of Sodium Zeolite Softener
1. Remove the Zeolite Softener from service
2. Fill it with a solution of Brine (sodium chloride)
3. The zeolite then absorbs the sodium cations from the brine and discards the calcium and magnesium cations to the brine
4. The brine is flushed to sewer
5. The recharged softener is rinsed with water and returned to service
What are some examples of Zeolite material?
1. Natural Green Sand
2. Synthetic Gel
3. Sulphonated Coal
4. Styrene Resin