Flashcards in PACKAGING Deck (22):
Why do we need FOOD PACKAGING?
- To prevent contamination
- Keep the product in tact
- Survive long transportation
- Marketing role
- To preserve the product
What are the PHYSICAL reasons for packaging?
- Protection from vibration & compression during transportation
- To preserve original quality of the food
What are the CONTAINMENT reasons for packaging?
- To contain & hold the product while keeping it secure
What are the BARRIER PROTECTION reasons for packaging?
- To protect product from OXYGEN/ WATER/ AIR/ DUST
- To reduce spoilage
- To reduce wastage
- To contain a controlled atmosphere to keep products fresh & attractive
What are the CONVENIENCE reasons for packaging?
- Number of portions
- Design that assists with handling Eg. snap pots, easy storage, reuse of product
What are the MARKETING reasons for packaging?
- To encourage sales
- To reinforce brand image
- To attract target groups Eg. colourful = kids
- Quality of packaging will contribute to the consumer's perception
What are the SECURITY reasons for packaging?
To keep the product safe! Eg. tamper free
What are the different types of PLASTIC packaging?
- Aseptic cartons
What is ASEPTIC packaging?
Paper & plastic & aluminium foil
- For oxygen & moisture sensitive foods
- Can have tamper proofing
- Can last up to a year with no refrigeration
What is LAMINATION?
Coating plastics with layers of other materials Eg. Card/ aluminium
- Extend shelf life
- Reduce preservatives
What are the ADVANTAGES of PLASTICS?
- High strength to weight ratio = strong but lightweight
- Squeeze bottles = convenience
- Lamination means retailers can display products for longer
- Recycled PET in packaging can be attractive to consumers
- Can be microwaved
What are the DISADVANTAGES of PLASTICS?
- Made from NON-RENEWABLE oil sources
- Large negative media attention
- Government pressure to steer away from plastics
- Biodegradable plastics = expensive
- Difficult to recycle
What are the different types of PAPER & CARDBOARD packaging?
What are the ADVANTAGES of PAPER & CARDBOARD?
- Easy to stack
- Many different thicknesses & types
- openable boards = convenience
- Easy to dispose of
- Bleached pulps are used if in direct contact with food = safe
- Can be coated in wax to rescue absorption of oil/ fat
What are the DISADVANTAGES of PAPER & CARDBOARD?
- Not good in damp conditions
- Contamination from pests can occur if stored incorrectly
- Odours from packaging may affect food
What are the different types of METAL packaging?
- Screw tops
- Aseptic packaging
What is TINCOATING?
A thin layer of steel protected by a layer of tin inside the can
- Stops corrosion
- Stops discolouration
What are the ADVANTAGES of METAL?
- Strong/ sturdy
- Easily stacked
- Long shelf life
- Shock resistant
FOILS = Less washing up/ less handling of food/ good barrier to light, oxygen, bacteria & moisture
- 75% of canned drinks = aluminium
- Pull rings = convenient
- Widget technology = better quality product
What are the DISADVANTAGES of METAL?
- Cant be resealed
- Once opened shelf life = limited
- Cant see the product inside
What are the different types of GLASS packaging?
- Dishes/ ramekins
What are the ADVANTAGES of GLASS?
- Easily moulded
- Easy to recycle
- Does not affect taste/ colour of food
- Can see the product inside
- Unable to become contaminated
- Easy to sterilise
- Can be reused
- Coloured glass = light sensitive products