Flashcards in Random Kaplan Qbank Deck (15):
documented DVT on exam and recent history of intracranial surgery - what do you do?
place IVC filter
- ALL anticoagulation is absolutely contraindicated
patient with a cataract - recommended management?
if patient is comfortable with their vision - surgery or glasses may not be necessary; refer to ophtho for more detailed analysis
MCC complication post-thyroid surgery?
hematoma - thyroid is highly vascular organ
what do you do if a patient post-thyroid surgery begins to have stridor, difficulty breathing and cyanosis?
open their wound to evacuate the hematoma that is likely causing compression
child presents with severe throat pain, difficulty swallowing, drooling, pain radiating to the ear, trismus and fever - dx?
tx. peritonsillar abscess
indications for tonsillectomy
1. peritonsillar abscess
2. obstructive tonsils + sleep apnea
4. speech defects
5. inability to cry
6. 7 cases of strep in 1 year, 5 in each of 2 years, 3 in each of 3 years
MC perioperative event associated with major vascular surgery
- should receive coronary angiogram prior to surgery to assess need for bypass/stenting
necrotizing diabetic foot infection
serous brown discharge
swelling of the foot
high leukocyte counts
management of necrotizing diabetic foot ulcer
1. foot and leg XR to delineate spread
2. OR - debridement/amputation
Tx. choledochal cyst
complication of ERCP
pancreatitis -due to injury to ampulla of Vater or retrograde injection of contrast material (5-7% of patients)
complications after ERCP
3. pancreatic pseudocyst formation
transfusion associated acute lung injury
hypoxemia and lung infiltrates w/in 24 hours of blood transfusion