Flashcards in Romano-Response To Resistance 1of 2 Deck (44)
Who is the owner of Response To Resistance?
Chief of Professional Standards
All RTR incidents are reviewed by the Professional Oversight Unit and are subject to further review by the _____, _____, and/or _____ to ensure compliance with JSO policy and training.
Director of Personnel & Professional Standards
the RTR Review Board
Internal Affairs Unit
Officers and supervisors will be required to obtain medical evaluations from the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department (JFRD) or a nurse at the Pretrial Detention Facility (PDF), as soon as possible or practical, for individuals: 4
1. Who show signs of any injury as a result of any use of force being applied
2. Who complain about any injury as a result of force being applied
3. Who become unconscious either during or following the application of any force
4. When the officer or supervisor reasonably believes an individual is in need of a medical evaluation as a result of the application of force.
Is failure to obey verbal commands considered active physical resistance?
There are six classifications of physical control:
1. Restraint Devices
3. Pain Compliance
4. Conducted Electrical Weapon
6. Counter Moves
_____ _____ may involve physical control, intermediate weapons and/or incapacitation techniques.
Officers may use deadly force to apprehend a fleeing felon only when: Need all 3 things
1. There is probable cause to believe the person fleeing committed a violent felony which involved the infliction or threatened infliction of great bodily harm or death, or the person fleeing escaped while being held in custody as a suspect or prisoner for a violent felony which involved the infliction or threatened infliction of great bodily harm or death; and
2. The officer reasonably believes the use of deadly force is necessary to prevent escape; and
3. The officer reasonably believes the failure to immediately apprehend the fleeing person will place the officer, another law enforcement officer, or any other person in imminent danger of death or great bodily harm.
If feasible, prior to the use of deadly force, officers shall give _____ _____ of the possible use of deadly force, unless to do so would jeopardize the safety of the officer or any other person.
Firearms shall NOT be discharged from or at a moving vehicle except under the following conditions: 3
1. As a last resort when all other opportunities have been exhausted, to prevent death or great bodily harm to the officer or another person, or
2. As a last resort to prevent the escape of a fleeing felon who poses an imminent threat of death or great bodily harm to the officer or another person, or
3. When authorized by a watch commander or higher authority.
Firearms may be drawn whenever officers have reason to fear for their safety or who?
the safety of others
If activated, an RTR Report will be completed by the _____ _____ and any witness officer will complete a RTR Witness Report. Any and all applicable RTR reports will be completed using the originating Central Communication Report (CCR) number.
After activating REACT/Band-it, an officer must do: 5
Photograph any injuries
Notify a Bailiff Sergeant
Checkback using RTR
Complete RTR report in Armor (use orig CCR)
officers will not intentionally strike anyone with an intermediate weapon on the head, neck, and clavicle unless the circumstance justifies the use of ____ ____.
Anytime an officer uses an intermediate weapon on or against an individual, the officer will: 4
complete and RTR in Armor
use the original CCR
Checkback RTR as primary disposition
Send report to permanent supervisor or designee
Anytime an officer witnesses the use of an intermediate weapon on or against an individual what report should be completed by the witness officer?
RTR Witness Report (use original CCR)
Prior to a member’s decision to deploy the chemical munitions, the following conditions must be met: 2
1. The officer must have legal authority to take the person into custody or the person is already lawfully confined in a Department of Corrections facility; and
2. The officer (e.g., sworn, corrections, bailiff, community service officer [CSO], or civilian security officer) is justified in the use of non-deadly force
Only under extreme conditions should a hand held aerosol chemical munition be used at a distance of less than _____ feet for the MK-3 and ___ feet for the MK-9.
Chemical munitions WILL NOT be used on individuals under the following conditions: 2
1. In a punitive manner; or
2. On a person secured by handcuffs or other restraint devices, absent Active Physical Resistance.
Anytime a person is exposed to a chemical agent, as soon as practical, the person must be: 3 things
Escorted to an uncontaminated environment
Exposed to fresh air; and
Allowed to flush contaminated body areas with water
All incidents involving exposure to a chemical agent (person or animal) will be documented how?
checking back using code RTR and
Writing an RTR or RTR Witness report and
Writing a General or Docket (put in narrative) and
ensure the original CCR is used
Personnel at the PDF will be advised in every instance when a ______ ______ has been used on an
arrestee/inmate in order to allow the arrestee/inmate to shower if so desired.
Use of specialty impact weapons may occur after other options to control or apprehend a suspect have been exhausted and the suspect has resisted at a minimum with
active physical resistance
Officers deploying specialty weapons shall not intentionally target a subject’s head or neck,
unless the circumstances justify the use of ____ _____.
Photographs will be taken by the crime scene detective or on-duty supervisor of all injuries
to persons struck by ____ ____ _____.
specialty impact munitions
_____ ____ ______ will inspect all persons struck by specialty impact munitions for injury.
Qualified medical personnel
If struck by specialty impact munition, those persons not transported by rescue will be transported to UF Health Jacksonville by who to be examined by emergency room personnel?
the reporting officer
Anytime a specialty impact weapons firearm is discharged the officer will do what for documenting?
Complete an RTR or Witness RTR
Use original CCR
Send to permanent supervisor
Officers may utilize a CEW in the following ways: 3
CEW Laser Painted (red dot compliance)
CEW Deployed (Probe deployment or Drive/touch stun)
Officers will not arm themselves with a firearm and a CEW _____________.