Flashcards in Salt and Water Cases Deck (6)
when can you see acute symptomatic hyponatremia?
- marathon runners
- water-drinking contests
- fraternity hazing
- raves (MDMA)
- primary polydipsia
how does repletion of hypokalemia cause overcorrection of hyponatremia?
- K+ exchanges w/ Na+; moves from intracellular to extracellular space
- also K+ moving intracellularly draws water w/ it from extracellular space
how to treat hyponatremia d/t glycine irrigation?
- hypertonic saline or
- HD (will correct hyponatremia and remove glycine)
adverse effects of Li+
- thyroid dysfunction
- cardiac arrhythmias
- nephrogenic DI (occurs in 40% of pts)
tx for nephrogenic DI 2/2 Li+
- d/c Li+
- amiloride (blocks Li+ entry into principal cell via ENaC)
- thiazide diuretics