Flashcards in The Transcontinental Railway Deck (5)
How did the railway effect America socially? Give six points
1) Cuts journey time
2) More trade
3) Creat alliances with other country's
4) Safer journeys
5) Migration leads to wider cultural mix - lead to racial segregation but can also spread more ideas
6) Government gets more money
How did the railway effect America economically?
1) More trade
2) More businesses are set up/partnerships
3) Government had more money
4) New people means more people willing to take different jobs
5) Railways might over charge people or share what they have made unfairly between workers
How did the railway benefit America politically? Give four points
1) Government would become richer from more immigrants settling in the west
2) Advertise their country because more people could access it
3) Faster delivery of important messages
4) Shows off the fact that America is united and has therefore become a stronger and more powerful country
5) Government gets more money
How many miles was it?
How many years did it take?