Flashcards in Unclassified Deck (27):
1. the length, width, height, or depth of something : a measurement in one direction
2. any of the fundamental units (as of mass, length,
or time) on which a derived unit is based
3. one of the elements or factors : aspect
4. the range over which or the degree to which
something extends : scope
e.g. -The surface of a sphere has 2 dimensions.
-The social dimensions of the problem must
also be taken into account.
to happen or appear again
to come up again to mind
to occur again after an interval
-The same problem keeps recurring.
-Old memories often recurred to him.
very unusual or strange
e.g. I just heard the most bizarre story.
in, of, or by itself
being such inherently, clearly, as a matter of law
-e.g. immersion per se (完全沈浸其中)
a per se conflict of interest
1. something that comes first to
prepare or introduce to the main
part of something else.
2. a game played before the main part of
a competition (to decide which players or
teams will be allowed to continue playing)
e.g. Our team got beaten in the preliminary
rounds of the competition.
1. a wall or screen that separate one
area from another
-A folding partition separated the
living and dining areas.
2. the action of parting
the state of being parted
3. one of the parts or sections of a whole
4. to divide Sth into parts or shares
-The room was partitioned into 4 sections.
-After the war, the country was partitioned.
1. =belly button 肚臍
2. the central point 中央/臍
- A city that likes to regard itself as
the nation's navel of art and culture.
a group of keyboard characters that are used to represent a facial expression, such as a smile :-) or frown ="= . (especially used in computerized communications)
someone who accepts and helps to spread the teachings of a famous
(v) to cause or persuade (a person or an animal) to go somewhere or to do Sth by offering some pleasure or gain.
(n) an appealing or attractive quality
(n) a device used for attracting animals, birds or especially fish.
the act of putting an end to something planned or previously agreed to；
to officially make (a law) no longer valid
e.g. The company called the furniture store to repeal the order for six new desks.
extreme suffering, grief, distress, anxiety or pain.
-He experienced the anguish of divorce after 10 years of marriage.
-Her heart anguished within her when she learned that her husband had fallen in battle.
to think, struggle, or worry very much about something
-agonized for days over whether she'd done the right thing.
- She agonized herself with the thought of her loss.
1. the belief that men and women should have equal rights and opportunities
2. organized activity in support of women's rights and interest
1. the act of avoiding something that you do not want to do or deal with
2. a statement or action that avoids directly dealing with Sth (such as difficult problems or questions)
one that boosts：such as
1. an enthusiastic supporter
2. an auxiliary device for increasing force, power, pressure, or effectiveness
3. a radio frequency amplifier
4. a substance or dose to renew or increase the effect of a drug
at or during the same time：in the meantime.
-She spent four years studying for her law degree. Meanwhile, she continued to work at bank.
1. almost or nearly
-The project is practically complete
2. in a way that is reasonable or logical：in a practical way
-look practically at the problem
1. a plan of things that need to be done and the times they will be done
2. a written or printed list of activities and the times when they will be done
3. a table of departure and arrival times of trains, buses, or airplanes
something that is unusual or unexpected, not easily classified：something anomalous
the increased effectiveness that results when two or more people or business work together.
-A synergy has developed among the different groups working on this project.
1. a large post that helps to hold up something(such as a roof)
2. a basic fact, idea, or principle of Sth
3. a supporting, integral, or upstanding member or part of something(a group)
- My father has been my pillar throughout this crisis