Flashcards in US Citizenship Deck (100)
What is the supreme law of the land?
▪ the Constitution
What does the Constitution do?
▪ sets up the government
▪ defines the government
▪ protects basic rights of Americans
The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?
▪ We the People
What is an amendment?
▪ a change (to the Constitution)
▪ an addition (to the Constitution)
What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?
▪ the Bill of Rights
What is one right or freedom from the First Amendment?*
▪ petition the government
How many amendments does the Constitution have?
▪ twenty-seven (27)
What did the Declaration of Independence do?
▪ announced our independence (from Great Britain)
▪ declared our independence (from Great Britain)
▪ said that the United States is free (from Great Britain)
What are two rights in the Declaration of Independence?
▪ pursuit of happiness
What is freedom of religion?
▪ You can practice any religion, or not practice a religion.
What is the economic system in the United States?*
▪ capitalist economy
▪ market economy
What is the “rule of law”?
▪ Everyone must follow the law.
▪ Leaders must obey the law.
▪ Government must obey the law.
▪ No one is above the law
Name one branch or part of the government.*
▪ the courts
What stops one branch of government from becoming too powerful?
▪ checks and balances
▪ separation of powers
Who is in charge of the executive branch?
▪ the President
Who makes federal laws?
▪ Senate and House (of Representatives)
▪ (U.S. or national) legislature
What are the two parts of the U.S. Congress?*
▪ the Senate and House (of Representatives)
How many U.S. Senators are there?
▪ one hundred (100)
We elect a U.S. Senator for how many years?
▪ six (6)
Who is one of your state’s U.S. Senators now?*
-Harris, Kamala D. (D-CA)
The House of Representatives has how many voting members?
▪ four hundred thirty-five (435)
We elect a U.S. Representative for how many years?
▪ two (2)
Name your U.S. Representative.
Gilbert Ray Cisneros Jr.
California District 39
J. Luis Correa
California District 46
Alan S. Lowenthal
California District 47
Who does a U.S. Senator represent?
▪ all people of the state
Why do some states have more Representatives than other states?
▪ (because of) the state’s population
▪ (because) they have more people
▪ (because) some states have more people
We elect a President for how many years?
▪ four (4)
In what month do we vote for President?*
What is the name of the President of the United States now?*
What is the name of the Vice President of the United States now?