N. a person's inherent qualities of mind and character:
- a sweet-natured girl of a placid disposition
- he has the disposition of a saint
Quid pro quo
N. one thing in return for another:
- a hard-nosed quid pro quo
- The Chinese may make some concessions on
trade, but they will no doubtdemand a quid pro quo
Adj. (of an action) carried out without real interest, feeling, or effort:
- he gave a perfunctory nod
- perfunctory courtesy
V. 1. produce or provide (a natural, agricultural, or industrial product):
- the land yields grapes and tobacco.
Produce or generate (a result, gain, or financial return):
- this method yields the same results
- such investments yield direct cash returns.
2. give way to arguments, demands, or pressure:
- the Western powers now yielded when they should have resisted
- he yielded to the demands of his partners.
1 pitifully sad and abandoned or lonely:
- forlorn figures at bus stops.
- London was a forlorn place
2 (of an aim or endeavour) unlikely to succeed or be fulfilled:
- a forlorn attempt to escape.
Adj. Next to or adjoining something else:
- adjacent rooms
- the area adjacent to the station.
N. (usu. machinations) a plot or scheme:
- The machinations of the Israeli and Palestinian negotiators are immaterial
Adj. unimportant under the circumstances; irrelevant:
- the difference in our ages is immaterial.
- But for most Democrats, the flaws in the legislation
Adj. Strongly infatuated:
- he became besotted with a local barmaid
- he was besotted with his baby girl
Adj. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand:
- he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse.
- moral obtuseness
• difficult to understand, especially deliberately so:
- some of the lyrics are a bit obtuse.
Adj. Not embarrassed, disconcerted, or ashamed:
- he was unabashed by the furore his words provoked
- unabashedsilliness viewers seem to love.
Adj. having or showing an excited feeling that something is about to happen, especially something good:
- expectant crowds arrived early
- an expectant mother
N. an Islamic decree by a recognized authority.
- The fatwa drove Rushdie into hiding
- The Islamic State released a Fatwa detailing explicit
rules on sexual slavery
Adj. showing deference; respectful:
- people were always deferential to him
1 being a part of a whole:
- the constituent minerals of the rock.
- the constituent parts of the organisation
2 being a voting member of an organization and having the power to appoint or elect:
- the constituent assembly has a right of veto.
1 (incumbent on/upon) necessary for (someone) as a duty or responsibility: the government realized that it was incumbent on them to act.
2 [ attrib. ] (of an official or regime) currently holding office: the incumbent President was defeated.
V. add (something) to the end of a written document:
- the results of the survey are appended to this chapter.
- along comes "social" innovation, a label that has been
appended to hundreds of conferences, articles and...
Adj. tending to be different or develop in different directions:
- divergent interpretations
- varieties of English can remain astonishingly divergent from one another.
Adj. Characterized by or showing interest or concern:
- she was always solicitous about the welfare of her students
- a solicitous enquiry.
N. a type of person or thing similar to one already referred to:
- the veiled suggestions that reporters of his ilk seem to be so good at
- there was music by Parry and Elgar and others of that ilk.