Flashcards in *WIP* P3 - Stopping Distances, Momentum, Car Safety, Work done & GPE, Kinetic Energy, Falling Objects & Roller Coasters Deck (10)
What factors affect thinking distance?
- How fast you are going
- How concentrated you are
How does speed affect thinking distance?
The faster you are going, the further you will go during reaction time/thinking time.
How does concentration affect thinking distance?
Is affected by tiredness, drugs, alcohol , distractions, a lack of concentration, and a careless blasé attitude.
The less concentrated you are, the longer it will take for you to make a decision, and therefore the greater the distance will be travelled whilst thinking.
What factors affect braking distance?
1: How fast you are going - The faster you are going, the further it takes to stop.
2: How heavily loaded the vehicle is - With the same brakes the heavier vehicle takes longer to stop, e.g. a car won't stop as quickly when it is full of people and luggage.
3: How good the brakes are
4: How good the grip is
How do brakes affect braking distance?
- Braking depends on how much force you apply, a little tap will not slow you down as much as if you put your foot down hard.
- Brakes must be checked and maintained regularly. If your brakes are worn or faulty you won't be able to brake with as much force, increasing the braking distance.
What does the grip depend upon?
- Road surface: Leaves and oil spills are serious hazards, and decrease the grip.
- Weather Conditions: Wet or icy roads decrease the grip on the surface
- Tyres: Tyres without tread will ride on a layer of water and skid very easily, this is called aquaplaning.
How does friction affect braking distance?
If there is less friction between the car and the road it takes longer to stop and the braking distance increases.
How drivers avoid an accident?
By leaving enough space between their car and the one in front so that if they had to stop suddenly they would have time to do so and safely.
What does "enough space" mean in terms of driving distance?
"Enough space" means the stopping distance for whatever speed they may be going at.