What are the Layers of the OSI Reference Model
- Data Link
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 1.
The Physical Layer
- Defines electrical, mechanical, procedural, and functional specifications for the physical link between devices.
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 2.
The Data Link Layer
- Defines how data is formatted for transmission and how access to physical media is controlled.
- Uses a physical address (MAC Address) to identify hosts on the local network.
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 3.
The Network Layer
- Provides connectivity and path selection beyond the local segment, all the way from the source to the final destination.
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 4.
The Transport Layer
- Defines segmenting and reassembling of data belonging to multiple individual communications.
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 5.
The Session Layer
- Establishes, manages, and terminates sessions between two communicating hosts to allow them to exchange data over a prolonged time period.
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 6.
The Presentation Layer
- Ensures that data sent by the application layer of one system is “readable” by the application layer of another system.
Name and Function of OSI Reference Model Layer 7.
The Application Layer
- The OSI layer that is closest to the user. It provides services to user applications that want to use the network.
What are the Layers of the TCP/IP Protocol Suite?
What does the Link Layer of the TCP/IP Stack do?
Defines protocols used to interface the directly connected network. Deals primarily with the physical network details.
What does the Internet Layer of the TCP/IP Stack do?
Routes data from the source to the destination and provides a means to obtain information on reaching other networks.
What does the Transport Layer of the TCP/IP Stack do?
It “prepares” application data for transfer over the network, and ensures that data from different applications is not mixed.
What does the Application Layer of the TCP/IP Stack do?
This layer mainly deals with user interaction. Provides protocols and services that let you actually use the network.
What are the two main protocols of the Transport Layer of the TCP/IP model?
TCP and UDP
Protocol Data Unit
- The generic term use for a data unit regardless of where it is found the the TCP/IP Stack.
General term for the PDU that is used at the Application Layer
Term for a Transport Layer PDU
Term for an Internet Layer PDU
Term for a Link Layer PDU