What is meant by reduction?
The gain of electrons by a reactant
What is meant by oxidation?
Loss of electrons by a reactant
What is a redox reaction?
A reaction where oxidation and reduction happen at the same time
What is an oxidising agent?
- substance which gains electrons
- substance which is reduced
- element with a high electronegativity
- substance which becomes more positive
Which group are thew strongest oxidising agents?
Name 3 common molecules or group ions that act as strong oxising agents
Why do some oxidising agents like dichromate and permanaganate have to be acidified?
As a source of H+ (aq) ions
What are some common uses of oxidising agents?
Kill funghi and bacteria
Breaking down colours (bleaching hair and clothes)
What is a reducing agent?
- substance which loses electrons
- substance which is oxidised
- element with a low electronegativity
- substance which becomes less positive
Which group are the strongest reducing agents?
Name one common molecule that acts as a reducing agent
Where are oxiding and reducing agents found in data booklet