Give the features of the cell wall.
- Made of cellulose
- Freely permeable
- Cell contents press against cell wall giving turgor pressure
List the specialist organelles present in plant cells.
Give the features of the vacuole.
- Membrane (called tonoplast) lined sac
- Contains cell sap Permanent within plant cells (transient (temporary) in animal cells).
Tonoplast is selectively permeable.
Give the features of chlorplast
- Responsible for photosynthesis
- Found in green parts of plants (leaves, stem not roots)
- Double membrane (like in mitochondria)
- Chloroplasts manufacture their own proteins as they have DNA and ribosomes
What is the structure of a chloropolast?
Internal membrane network - flattened sacs called thylakoids - Several stacked thylakoids make up a granum. - Grana contains chlorophyll (site of photosynthesis) - Starch grains float in stroma (fluid inside chloroplast) - Starch produced by photosynthesis exists in starch grains - Internal chloroplast membrane has large SA, needed for enzymes proteins & pigment molecules for phootosynthesis.