Flashcards in 3.2 Specific Ethical Issues to Consider Deck (12):
?? is defined as a subject’s voluntary agreement to participate in research based on a full understanding of the research and of the possible risks and benefits involved
If a researcher promises ?, he or she cannot link individual participants with their data.
If a researcher promises ?, he or she promises not to reveal the identities of research participants, even though the researcher can link individual participants with their data.
? include minors who must have the consent of a legal guardian, prisoners., mentally ill, those hospitalized.
? faced jail time because he chose to protect the identities of his subjects as he promised.
The ASA has developed a Code of Ethics to which American sociologists are expected to adhere. (5 different codes)
American Sociological Association
1. Professional competence - states that researchers should recognize their ? and only conduct research for which they've been ?.
They should also engage in ongoing education to remain competent.
- Directs that sociologist be ?, ?, and respectful.
3. Professional and scientific Responsibility - guides sociologists to be
respectful in their relationships with ??.
4. Respect for people’s rights, dignity, and diversity -, addresses the need to reduce ? in all
5. Social responsibility - sociologists should “strive to
advance the science of ? and serve the ??.”