Flashcards in 3.6 Deck (17)
What is hardware?
The physical components of the computer:
What is software?
The actual program itself which is what appears on the monitor. This includes the application and system software which controls everything the computer does.
Explain the relationship between hardware and software.
The hardware & software both work together to perform the tasks for the user. The hardware sets up a host for the computer to run on & the CPU controls what goes on.
What is System software?
Is the essential part of the program that runs the whole layout of the computer.
What is application software?
Runs all the apps and difference applications used on the computer
What is the difference between system software & application software?
The user cannot interfere with system software and how it runs whereas the user can alter the different application that is on their computer.
What are the 3 categories for software?
- Systems (OS) - resource management, managing hardware to allocate processors, memories and I/O devices among competing processes
- Application software
- Utilities - small, one purpose programs which concern the upkeep & maintenance of a computer system.
What are the 5 examples of software?
- Anti-virus Programs - Helps to detect & remove malicious programs which have often been designed to harm a computer in some way.
- Disk Defragmenters - Files on hard drives become split up & spread apart making retrieval of files slower. This software helps to consolidate the parts of the files back together.
- Compression Utilities - Reduces the amount of space information takes up on a storage device.
- File Managers - Allows directories, folders and files & to created, moved, copied, deleted and renamed.
- Backup Utilities - Provides a way to recover data in case the original copy gets lost, deleted or corrupted.
What is the operating system (OS)?
An operating system is a software that allows a computer to run as a useful device, it manages the hardware, the user interface & all other software running on the computer.
Without an operating system, a computer is just a collection of components heating up the room as no-one would be able to make any practical use of the machine.
What is utility software/ utility program?
It's software that can improve the performance of the computer, software programs that add functionality to your computer or help your computer perform better. These include antivirus, backup, disk repair, file management, security, and networking programs.
What are libraries?
A collection of pre-written words. A software library is a suite of data and programming code that is used to develop software programs and applications. It is designed to assist both the programmer and the programming language compiler in building and executing software.
What are the 3 translators?
What is the compiler?
compiles the entire source code into machine code.
What is the Assembler?
Assembler is a program that converts assembly level language (low-level language) into machine level language.
What is the interpreter?
Is a computer program that is used to directly execute program instructions written/converted into source code/ high-level language into intermediate code and then the code will be run/executed line by line.
What is the difference between compilation & interpretation?
Depends whether it interprets or compiles. An interpreter produces a result from a program, while a compiler produces a program written in assembly language.